Monday, November 24, 2008

There's no place like home for the holidays

We stay home for the holidays. It's too hard to get (now) 4 kids to go anywhere and be away all day, especially with a baby. For the last 5 or 6 years or so, we've been staying home for all of the holidays. If people want to see us, they are more than welcome to stop over, but other than that, we stay at home. (Well, for Easter we usually try to go to a park or somewhere like that.) Thanksgiving, we will be eating at home, but it's my grandma's birthday, so we'll go see her in the evening. Plus, I usually have to work on holidays. That's the crappy thing about working at home. If it's not a Tuesday or Saturday, I usually have to work it. We went shopping yesterday for our Thanksgiving groceries (before my mom brought the kids home.) I've got a couple of things to pick up at the store down the street, and I'm still hoping to take Charlie to get his picture taken tomorrow, but sadly the vest will not be done. And, I'm probably going to take a picture at home of everyone and get prints made, so I don't have to worry about send out picture time at Walmart.

We're just homebodies, and besides, what kid wants to go all over hell all day long? I'm an only child, and my BIL and SIL have no kids, so it's not like they have cousins to play with. My dad said how horrible my mom's family was for always having get togethers on the holidays and how it was disrespectful to him (he's got issues, and thank god they're divorced now, so I only have to put up with his crap when I feel like it.) I was never so glad to get that email from him, though. See, he always gives me grief because we don't go over there for holiday dinners. When he emailed that, I said exactly, that's why we don't go anywhere. We want the kids to have fun. It's supposed to be special and fun for THEM. He let it drop then. (Sorry about the dad rant, but I'm probably going to have to see him Thursday at my grandma's....grrrr)

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

We spent so much time driving all over during the holidays when I was a kid (two stops, driving through four counties)...it was exhausting for my parents, and I think we got overstimulated. Especially when you have little ones--it's just too much hassle!

Lauria said...

I totally get what you mean, but on the other hand, I only get to see my dad's family twice a year now on Christmas and Thanksgiving. It's the guarenteed time that EVERYONE will get together. So I really like to try to make it since I enjoy seeing my uncle's and aunts. It's a bit ackward though so I don't know them as well as I should.

And right now, that's pretty much the only time I'm seeing my dad! We both have crappy cars, so it's hard to get to see each other. And we both suck at using the phone, sooo... we rarely talk. It's sad. :(