Well, yesterday went pretty good. The kids ate WAY too much chocolate. I am pleasantly surprised and shocked. The in-laws only gave the kids handmade candy!! No heards of bunnies or chickies this year. No hot wheels. Dear lord, poverty has it bonuses!
No, really we had a pretty nice day. Of course, MIL did NOT make Dan a cake this year, only because I didn't either. Good thing I had the poke cake ready!
Today is Dan's actual birthday. He's 30 and uber-depressed about it. I don't know why. It'll be my turn next year. I don't care. Heck, it's not like he's going to be 80. I told him he needs to hook up with my cousin. She refuses to even talk about being 30, and she's even got a year after me to wait. Am I weird because I think 30 is no big deal? Heck, I'll just be glad to finally not get carded to buy alcohol. I should not have to be surrounded by 4 kids to not get carded dammit! I also told him it's not so bad, that my friend's BIL is going to be 40 today. That made him feel a little better, but still bummed. Oh well, I think I'm going to surprise him with his cake tonight. We've still got poke cake left. I guess I just like having 2 cakes to choose from! ;0) I was going to make it Saturday because we're ditching the big kids and were going to have some of his friends over, but he never called anyone. I don't know if I'm going to be able to pull it off by Saturday.
Oh, I think I finally recruited my SIL to the dark side. I was showing her my pretty, soft, pettable sock yarn last night and my fun DPN's and she was talking about learning how to knit and crochet.
Oh, and last night, Dan's friend called him. He's a local EMT / firefighter. Apparently, he had gone to Canada with some buddies for a little trip. The department called him 6 times, begging him to come home (he was on his way.) There was a HUGE fire downtown last night! An 100-year-old building was completely destroyed, and one built in 1885 was heavily damaged right next to it. That main strip of road through town is still blocked off this morning. It's a shame. Those were some beautiful old buildings. Luckily, the others on that block were saved. They just have smoke and water damage. No one was hurt. The people that owned the shop were having Easter dinner in the apartment above it, and they got out with everyone but 1 cat. :0( One firefighter got some 1st degree burns from a flare up, and some were treated for smoke inhalation, but at least no one got seriously hurt.